The Church may be called the Body of Christ because of these facts:
1) Members of the Body of Christ are joined to Christ in salvation (Ephesians 4:15-16).
2) Members of the Body of Christ follow Christ as their Head (Ephesians 1:22-23).
3) Members of the Body of Christ are the physical representation of Christ in this world. The Church is the organism through which Christ manifests His life to the world today.
4) Members of the Body of Christ are indwelt by the Holy Spirit of Christ (Romans 8:9).
5) Members of the Body of Christ possess a diversity of gifts suited to particular functions (1 Corinthians 12:4-31). “The body is a unit, though it is made up of many parts; and though all its parts are many, they form one body. So it is with Christ” (verse 12).
6) Members of the Body of Christ share a common bond with all other Christians, regardless of background, race, or ministry. “There should be no division in the body, but . . . its parts should have equal concern for each other” (1 Corinthians 12:25).
7) Members of the Body of Christ are secure in their salvation (John 10:28-30). For a Christian to lose his salvation, God would have to perform an “amputation” on the Body of Christ!
8) Members of the Body of Christ partake of Christ’s death and resurrection (Colossians 2:12).
9) Members of the Body of Christ share Christ’s inheritance (Romans 8:17).
10) Members of the Body of Christ receive the gift of Christ’s righteousness (Romans 5:17).
Father we praise and bless You for every member of Your Church family throughout the world, and for the diverse ways that You graciously use each one to fulfill the particular role that You have purposed for them – in Your wider plans and purposes.
Thank you that we are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation and Your own special possession. Thank You that we are stones being built up into a glorious dwelling-place – a Temple fit for our God – so that we may proclaim Your praises with our lips and in our lives. You have brought us out of darkness into Your wonderful light and we praise and bless you for your grace and mercy towards us and all people.
What a privileged people we are and how we bless and thank You for making us one with each other, and in union with Christ Jesus our Lord. Stir up in our hearts a desire to be in unity one with the other – under the banner of Christ our Head. Sanctify us with Your truth and keep us ever looking to Jesus, Who alone is the Way to God, the only Sacrifice for our sins and the only Mediator between man and God, Whom to know is life eternal and in Whose name we pray,